Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'68 Ford 302 head gasket
Hello,  I purchased Fel-Pro gasket set HS 8548 PT-7 for this '68 302.  Head gaskets 8548 PT are marked front, and instructions say to place printoseal down (block side) for the right bank and up (head side) for the left bank.  This places two coolant gasket holes at the rear of each bank and covers (blanks) the two front holes on each bank.

The existing left bank gasket was the same, but the right bank had the coolant holes to the front.  Hoping you can tell me that it's correct to have coolant holes at rear for both banks.  Also, for my own info, why does printoseal flip flop between sides (one's up, one's down)?

One final question for the head gasket:  is this gasket set ok for marine app?  Thank you.
Hi Wilson,

We have a few questions in order in order to provide the best recommendations.

First, can you confirm the set part number ends in PT-7? HS 8548 PT-7 is not a valid Fel-Pro part number - it may have been at one time, and may now be discontinued. We will look into that.

As for the instructions - we are not aware of any instruction sheets that say the Printoseal must face one way or the other, especially different directions on different banks. Printoseal creates a concentrated sealing load in critical areas regardless of which side of the gasket it is applied to. It doesn't care if it's facing the head or the block.

The rear coolant holes need to be positioned at the rear of the engine. The end of the gasket marled "front" must be installed at the front end of the engine in order to allow proper coolant flow. We are not sure what instructions would say otherwise but are very interested to learn more.

The 8548 PT-2 head gaskets that are included in the other HS 8548 PT-*X* head sets (where X is a number that results in a valid Fel-Pro part # HS 8548 PT-11 for example) are not suitable for Marine use. The combustion armors and gasket core are steel which can corrode due to contamination from open water cooling system, even on freshwater applications.

Is this a marine engine you're working on?
Wow, great replies on both head and intake inquiries.  You answered all on the intake so I'll only reply here.

Yes it is marine app.  I may go ahead with these and make it a short-term fix.  Only doing top end this round.  Plan to do complete rebuild next winter.  As far as the part no. yes to all.  No typos.  Here's the ebay link to show pics of Fel-Pro packaging with stated p/n (PT-7); also note the additional part no listed, 22172, off to the right on the label.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cylinder-Head-G...6538!US!-1

I copy on the front markings.  All holes to rear.  Good to know about PT head details (ok either side).  Same with intake gaskets, roger, thanks.

Tried to copy image of Fel-Pro instruction sheet, but unable.  Could attach pdf if that's an option.  At any rate, ref on instruction sheet states Form No. I-585 (Rev. 12/83).  All I have.
(06-06-2019, 08:19 PM) Wrote: Wow, great replies on both head and intake inquiries.  You answered all on the intake so I'll only reply here.

Yes it is marine app.  I may go ahead with these and make it a short-term fix.  Only doing top end this round.  Plan to do complete rebuild next winter.  As far as the part no. yes to all.  No typos.  Here's the ebay link to show pics of Fel-Pro packaging with stated p/n (PT-7); also note the additional part no listed, 22172, off to the right on the label.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cylinder-Head-G...6538!US!-1

I copy on the front markings.  All holes to rear.  Good to know about PT head details (ok either side).  Same with intake gaskets, roger, thanks.

Tried to copy image of Fel-Pro instruction sheet, but unable.  Could attach pdf if that's an option.  At any rate, ref on instruction sheet states Form No. I-585 (Rev. 12/83).  All I have.

Wilson,

Wow, that is an old set! It's obvious that was a valid Fel-Pro part number at one time but has since been discontinued. We would be curious to know if there is a date code on the label. If there is, it would be a 6-digit code in the format of YYMMDD - for example, 190607 would be today's date. The other number doesn't register as any valid (modern) Fel-Pro number, either.

That instruction sheet is out of date, to say the least. We are pretty sure the head gaskets may have been revised since then as well, so they may not be an exact match in design to the 8548 PT-2 head gaskets available today. Either way, if you install them you definitely want the end with the extra coolant holes at the rear of the engine.

If there are any rubber components in the set, inspect them carefully for any signs of dry-rotting, cracking, or other damage. Who knows how those gasket sets were stored over the last however many years they've been out there.

We do want to reiterate that there is a real possibility of leaks or gasket failure. Between the fact that the gaskets are not designed for marine use and the age of the gaskets, we cannot recommend using them. However, we also cannot stop you from installing them, especially considering you plan to use them short term.

Best of luck with the repair and let us know if you have any other questions!
There is a year on the label, says 1982 Fel-Pro Incorporated.  Appreciate all the info.  Great service you all provide.  Ready to reassemble.  Bit of a carb vacuum issue to iron out so could be a little while til I can really test.  I'll let you know what I learn.
(06-07-2019, 10:17 PM) Wrote: There is a year on the label, says 1982 Fel-Pro Incorporated.  Appreciate all the info.  Great service you all provide.  Ready to reassemble.  Bit of a carb vacuum issue to iron out so could be a little while til I can really test.  I'll let you know what I learn.

You're welcome, good luck as you continue the project!

The gaskets are probably a bit newer than '82, that sounds like it's just the year of the label design. The instruction sheet was revised in December of '83 so it's likely the gaskets are even a bit newer than that.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.