Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reuse head gasket once crushed - 289
i broke a bolt installing a 8548PT2 head gasket on my 1965 ford 289 motor.  Installed it to felpro specs, which is straight to 80 ft lbs for long head bolts, 70 ft lbs for short, using the circular pattern shown in the instructions.  I was reusing my original ford bolts and am now replacing them with new ARPs.  Couple questions:  

1) can I reuse the head gasket once torqued down or need to get new ones?

2) does fel pro really recommend going straight to 80 ft lbs for the long bolts with no incremental steps?  Machinist thinks it’s a lot for a 7/16” bolt.
Hi Rich,

1. If you leave the head on and replace the original fasteners with the ARP fasteners one at a time you do not need to replace the head gaskets. Follow the correct sequence and torque each fastener following ARP's directions before moving on to the next fastener. If the head needs to be removed, then the gasket should be replaced.

2. We do not recommend going straight to 80 ft-lbs - was it indicated somewhere that is the case? Aside from TTY/TTA fasteners (which have their own specific torque sequences) we always recommend working up to the listed final torque specification in at least 3 even steps if there is no specific sequence outlined by the repair manual for the application. The sequence can be divided into more steps if desired but 3 is adequate. This compresses the gasket evenly and helps prevent binding or other issues. However, since you are using ARP fasteners their torque specifications should be followed.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Side note: we will be moving this thread to the head bolts section 1 week from today or once we know you've seen our response, whichever comes first. We will leave it here for now so you can find it easily.
Here’s a link to the fel pro instructions that came with the head gasket I’m reading the process for standard bolts without an integrated washer is to torque straight to 80 ft lbs for long bolts, 70 for short bolts. Nothing about taking them up in three steps.

The TTY bolt instructions above that do specifically however say to torque in three steps, and include the torque ranges for each.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dUBbvEZrWDnf2QKL8
(06-04-2019, 11:41 PM) Wrote: Here’s a link to the fel pro instructions that came with the head gasket I’m reading the process for standard bolts without an integrated washer is to torque straight to 80 ft lbs for long bolts, 70 for short bolts. Nothing about taking them up in three steps.

The TTY bolt instructions above that do specifically however say to torque in three steps, and include the torque ranges for each.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dUBbvEZrWDnf2QKL8

Rich,

We don't specify 3 steps as that's just the industry standard but not a hard and fast rule. Once could take them up to the final torque specs in 3 steps, 4 steps, 5 steps, etc. but the rule of thumb is that 3 relatively even steps are sufficient. The specification listed is a final torque spec only, not the first step. For traditional fasteners, only a final torque spec is listed as there is no specific sequence on how to work up to it (unless specs are listed in the repair manual for the application, in which case the repair manual directions should be followed).

TTY/TTA fasters don't apply load the same way that traditional fasteners do - there is no final torque spec and each step is listed as it is important in the stretching/tensioning of the fastener. They often have more than 3 steps, and can even call for bolts being loosened and tightened again. They are more complicated to install but load the gasket more evenly as this method helps minimize the effects of friction variances between the fasteners while torquing.

We hope that helps, but let us know if you have any other questions!

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.