Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to remove hard rubber gasket
I have a 2008 charger and trying to remove the old gasket from the plastic valve cover.  It is hard as plastic and doesn't budge at all.   Most I can do is crack it but I can't get under it to remove the seal.    Any suggestions on how to remove this other than buying a new cover?
Hi Keith,

It sounds like the gasket has hardened and taken a compression set. You'll want to be very careful not to damage the cover or the groove the gasket fit into while removing it.

You could carefully use a metal pick set to grab hold of the gasket (be careful not to gouge the cover) and lift it up. Once you start removing it, you should be able to pull it up and out. If you have any thin plastic scrapers or popsicle sticks you could try those as well. The most important thing is just to make sure you don't damage the valve cover or the groove the gasket presses into as this can result in leaks.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.