Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head Bolts
Head Bolts ES71178 are 1/8 inch longer than stock. I installed them in my 1987 Toyota 22R and as soon as the engine warmed up, the head gasket failed along it's entire length. The head had been machined and the block checked.
Hi Keith!

We need a little more info on this one in order to best assist you.

What head gasket was used, and how did id fail - we understand it's leaking along the length of the head, but where did the leak come from? Have you pulled the head back off to check out the gasket?

How much was machined off the head?

Did the bolts bottom out in the holes, preventing them from being torqued, or were you able to properly torque them (58 ft-lbs in 3 even steps)?

If the head were not sealed tight against the block coolant would have been leaking as soon as the system was filled and the engine was running, long before it came up to temp.

We're not saying you did anything wrong, we just need more details so we can understand the situation. We look forward to hearing back from you!
It appears as if the head bolts bottomed out. It's hard to get exact measurements (at least for me), but if I run a bolt through the rocker stand and head, the length the threads stick out is almost identical to the length a bolt threads into the block, with only the gasket thickness to spare. I don't know the amount the head was machined, but it was only supposed to be enough to make sure it was flat. The gasket was genuine Toyota and torqued in proper steps. The gasket still looks brand new. Water was getting into the oil and combustion pressure was blowing water out of the radiator. It happened in a short time and I don't think it ever warmed up.
Keith,

We are looking into this for you - do you still have the box the bolts came in? If so would you be able to send up pictures of the label? You can post them here through an image hosting website using the "[img][/img]" links or by emailing them to us at Support@FelPro-Only.com

Thanks, let us know if you find anything else, we will update you with our findings as well.
I have a 1993 22RE engine, the Felpro headbolt part is ES71178 As i hold the new headbolt with the used headbolt i see the same. The Felpro headbolt appears 1/4 longer than stock bolt
(02-26-2017, 07:41 AM)Guest Wrote: I have a 1993 22RE engine, the Felpro headbolt part is ES71178 As i hold the new headbolt with the used headbolt i see the same. The Felpro headbolt appears 1/4 longer than stock bolt

Hi,

The ES 71178 bolt set fits 1987-1995 22RE engines and will work for your 1993 22RE - the bolts should not bottom out. If the head and/or block have been machined beyond the specifications listed in the repair manual, the casting(s) that are out-of-spec should be replaced.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.