Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1094 head gasket
Hello.  I have a new Chev 350 crate engine that I was planning on installing Edelbrock aluminum cylinder heads.  As both the block and the heads will be new, would I be better off going with the 1094 gaskets or the 1142026 gaskets?  I usually use cost as a good judge of quality, and the 1142026 seem to be superior based on expense.  Also, would either gaskets present concern when using the aluminum heads on an iron block?  Thanks
(01-20-2017, 11:15 PM)Christian Wrote: Hello.  I have a new Chev 350 crate engine that I was planning on installing Edelbrock aluminum cylinder heads.  As both the block and the heads will be new, would I be better off going with the 1094 gaskets or the 1142026 gaskets?  I usually use cost as a good judge of quality, and the 1142026 seem to be superior based on expense.  Also, would either gaskets present concern when using the aluminum heads on an iron block?  Thanks

Hi Christian,

The 1142-026 gasket is a MLS (multi-layer steel) head gasket. MLS head gaskets offer superior sealing but require a smoother sealing surface than traditional composite head gaskets (60 Ra or smoother is required for Fel-pro MLS head gaskets). Even though the block and heads are new, the surface finish may not be suitable for MLS gaskets. We recommend checking with the supplies of the castings to see if you can fins out what the surfaces finishes are.

The 1094 gaskets are unique as far as non-MLS head gaskets go as they also would benefit from a smoother surface finish than that required by traditional composite head gaskets.

Both gaskets are fine for use on an iron block with aluminum heads.
Thank you for your reply. Is there a different head gasket that you would recommend for a high performance application that would provide a thin compressed thickness while also working excellent for the aluminum head to iron block? Or is there a traditional composite head gasket that would provide better performance over the others?
(01-26-2017, 06:11 AM)Guest Wrote: Thank you for your reply. Is there a different head gasket that you would recommend for a high performance application that would provide a thin compressed thickness while also working excellent for the aluminum head to iron block? Or is there a traditional composite head gasket that would provide better performance over the others?

Christian,

MLS head gaskets will provide the best performance as long as the surface finish appropriate for MLS gaskets. We design our gaskets to accommodate different combinations of head/block materials. Composite gaskets feature a special coating that allows the heads and block to expand at different rates without being damaged, however MLS gaskets still have the upper hand here as the full-hard stainless steel layers are even more durable.

Since your castings are new, we recommend checking with the manufacturers to see what the surface finishes are, as they may already be suitable for MLS gaskets, which would be ideal for a high-performance application.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)