Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1094 head gasket
Dave,

With new castings you should be good to go. If you had any concerns about the quality of the castings we'd recommend having them at least checked by a machine shop, but otherwise install the gasket clean and dry and you'll be in good shape. 

We're sure you know since it sounds like you know what you're working with, but make sure the gaskets are not too thin, leading to valve/piston interference. 

You may also want to consider running part # 1142-026, which come in at .026" thick. They're a 3 layer MLS so they will perform much better in a performance/high compression application. 

We hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestion.  I might do that.  Prefer not to go to all this trouble just to create problems.  Do the 1142-026 gaskets also go on dry?

Thanks.  Dave 
(11-04-2015, 03:26 AM)Guest Wrote:  Thanks for the suggestion.  I might do that.  Prefer not to go to all this trouble just to create problems.  Do the 1142-026 gaskets also go on dry?

Thanks.  Dave 

Hi Dave,

The 1142-026 gaskets are what we would recommend if they'll work for your goals. MLS gaskets will seal a high compression engine much more reliably than a single layer steel shim gasket. They should be installed 100% clean and dry as well.

This link has more information on the 1142-026 gaskets:
http://www.fme-cat.com/overlays/part-detail.aspx?pNum=1142-026&partType=Head%20Gasket&brandId=FL

Let us know if you have any other questions!
I have a question about the 1094 .
I have read several articles about people using the rubber coated 1094 on Aluminum heads with no issues .
since it seems the coating has changed to a clear finish , will this be compatible with the use of Aluminum heads ?
(07-23-2016, 08:24 PM)Lane Wrote:  I have a question about the 1094 .
I have read several articles about people using the rubber coated 1094 on Aluminum heads with no issues .
since it seems the coating has changed to a clear finish , will this be compatible with the use of Aluminum heads ?

Hi Lane,

The clear coating is an improved coating over the rubber coating that was used previously, and they are compatible with aluminum heads. The 1094 gaskets do require a very smooth surface finish on the heads and the block, we recommend 30 Ra or less.
Hi,
I'm wondering if your 1094 shim head gasket is acceptable for Mercruiser raw water cooled applications.
(12-12-2016, 02:53 PM)Rob Wrote:  Hi,
I'm wondering if your 1094 shim head gasket is acceptable for Mercruiser raw water cooled applications.

Hi Rob,

1094 is made from stainless steel, so you shouldn't have any issues using it in a raw-water cooled marine application. Just make sure piston-to-valve clearance is adequate!
Hello and thanks for this service.

I have an original 1967 327 that I'm installing aluminum heads.  The engine has never been apart that I'm aware of and has about 50,000 original miles on it, but it is still 50 years old.

I'd like to run the thinnest head gasket that I can to bring up the static compression into the 10:1 range.

Given this, what is the thinnest gasket that you think would work?  I understand that you can't make any guarantees here, just looking for some guidance.

Thank you.

Bruce
(01-04-2017, 10:54 PM)Bruce Wrote:  Hello and thanks for this service.

I have an original 1967 327 that I'm installing aluminum heads.  The engine has never been apart that I'm aware of and has about 50,000 original miles on it, but it is still 50 years old.

I'd like to run the thinnest head gasket that I can to bring up the static compression into the 10:1 range.

Given this, what is the thinnest gasket that you think would work?  I understand that you can't make any guarantees here, just looking for some guidance.

Thank you.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

We're happy to be here!

Our Performance Sealing Manager, Ron, says he'd like to save you the trouble of trying to figure out which head gasket to use, so he'd be happy to help you out by getting that 327 out of your way.....

Should you refuse his offer (as I'm sure you will, and should), the 1094 gaskets would be a good choice as long you have adequate piston-to-valve clearance. They're .015" thick, so make sure you plug that in to your compression ratio calculations.
(01-05-2017, 03:04 PM)Support Wrote:  
(01-04-2017, 10:54 PM)Bruce Wrote:  Hello and thanks for this service.

Thank you.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

We're happy to be here!

Our Performance Sealing Manager, Ron, says he'd like to save you the trouble of trying to figure out which head gasket to use, so he'd be happy to help you out by getting that 327 out of your way.....

Should you refuse his offer (as I'm sure you will, and should), the 1094 gaskets would be a good choice as long you have adequate piston-to-valve clearance. They're .015" thick, so make sure you plug that in to your compression ratio calculations.

Tell him his offer is very kind, but seeing how it's the born-with engine in my 67 Camaro, I think I'll have to decline. Big Grin
One more question - should this shim gasket prove too thin, what would the next thickest gasket be you'd recommend?  I see the performance gasket you mentioned earlier, but you also said the deck would need milled to ensure it's flat enough.  Being that my engine has never been apart, would it seal?
(01-10-2017, 02:13 AM)Guest Wrote:  Tell him his offer is very kind, but seeing how it's the born-with engine in my 67 Camaro, I think I'll have to decline. Big Grin

Don't worry, you made the right choice!

Since the engine has never been apart as far as you know, you should find a steel shim gasket from GM under the heads. If you find a composite gasket, then it’s been apart before. Our shim gasket is the thinnest gasket you can install.

I don’t know if the new head’s combustion chambers are smaller than the O.E. heads you are removing – this will have an effect on the compression ratio depending if they are larger or smaller.

Just because the engine has never been apart does not mean the sealing surfaces will be flat. They need to be checked with a straight edge to verify that they are flat – it does not matter what gasket you use – the deck & head surfaces need to be no more than 0.004” out-of-flat total. So if the heads are 0.002” out-of-flat and the block is the same, you are at the maximum out-of flat and the sealing surface(s) need to be corrected to get a proper seal. MLS gaskets are a different story, and require the sealing surfaces to be machined to meet the minimum requirements for MLS sealing.

If you need to go to a composite gasket for compression reasons, we recommend Fel-Pro Performance Gaskets part # 1003:
http://fme-cat.com/overlays/part-detail.aspx?pNum=1003&partType=Head%20Gasket&brandId=FL

Alternately, you could use 501 SD and keep compression up a bit more since it has a smaller bore:
http://fme-cat.com/overlays/part-detail.aspx?pNum=501%20SD&partType=Head%20Gasket&brandId=FL

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text within the image on the left in to the text box below. This process is used to prevent automated posts.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)