Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ES71038 Head bolts
1997 3.9 liter V6 Magnum engine in Dodge Dakota

I recently purchased a set of your head bolts listed as ES 71038 through Autozone. The bolts that arrived did not match their sample picture or yours; additionally the box they came in listed them as applicable to 98-01 model years only (Federal Mogul and Autozone both have them tagged as applicable to the 1997 model year). The store, believing this to be a mistake, ordered in an additional set of the same bolts; they were also incorrect and labeled 98-01. Both sets were listed as ES 71038.

I just checked your website to see that your sample picture is correct, those look like the OE bolts I just removed from my engine; however both of your kits that I actually opened had bolts with much longer threaded portions, roughly 2-2.5 times as much of the longer bolts were threaded than the OE bolts.

Why is this? Is this a mistake? Do you still make the OE form bolts? 

Perhaps these bolts are intended to be used with aftermarket heads, but the OE cast iron heads are not threaded, only the block is. I'm not at all comfortable using bolts with that much unengaged threading.
Hi Joshua,

Thanks for your patience, we are performing some maintenance on the forum which is why it's taken a while to get back to you.

Can you give us the date code from the box? It is a 6 digit code printed on the end of the label in DDMMYY format. For example, 200818 would be the 20th day of August in the year 2018.
Don't worry about the delay, just be aware that I've tried to post several times and they're more or less about the same issue.

No, I'm sorry, but both incorrect head bolt sets were returned quite a while ago. I stopped by the store to see if I could get a picture of one of the boxes but they told me that both sets were already back in the warehouse. Both boxes were opened though, so I hope that they won't be passed on to another unlucky customer. The best I could do would be to give you the address/phone number of that particular Autozone, not that that would help much.

Interesting thing though, on a whim I went to a different parts store (literally across the street) and they just so happened to have ES71038 in stock. I was surprised, and delighted, to find the correct bolts. I purchased them on the spot and have already installed them with no issues. Their date code is 180412. I'm still confused as to why they say 1998-01, but they worked completely fine.
(08-24-2018, 12:41 AM)Joshua Wrote: Don't worry about the delay, just be aware that I've tried to post several times and they're more or less about the same issue.

No, I'm sorry, but both incorrect head bolt sets were returned quite a while ago. I stopped by the store to see if I could get a picture of one of the boxes but they told me that both sets were already back in the warehouse. Both boxes were opened though, so I hope that they won't be passed on to another unlucky customer. The best I could do would be to give you the address/phone number of that particular Autozone, not that that would help much.

Interesting thing though, on a whim I went to a different parts store (literally across the street) and they just so happened to have ES71038 in stock. I was surprised, and delighted, to find the correct bolts. I purchased them on the spot and have already installed them with no issues. Their date code is 180412. I'm still confused as to why they say 1998-01, but they worked completely fine.

Joshua,

We are glad to hear it finally worked out!

We want to thank you for bringing this to our attention. We did some research and found that the wrong bolts were indeed packed in a run of the ES 71038 sets. We put a stop on shipment of all sets from our distribution center while we check the boxes and figure out how this happened. Once we determine the dates of the affected sets, we'll notify our distributors.

We're actually in the process of changing up the information on the label for all of out sets currently. We'll make sure that the years on this one are addressed.

It sounds like your project is complete, but send us an email to Support@FelPro-Only.com so we can follow up with you on this.

Oh, by the way - we see all of the posts from before. We were performing some maintenance on the forum but it's complete now and everything came through. We'll leave this thread up.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.