Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fel-Pro 1142-026
Hello;
Purchased and installed a set of 1142-026 on my 302 small block chevrolet motor.
Used permatex rtv at gasket valley ends as they don't extend as far as typical gaskets.
However whats unusual is the alignment tab rivets extend past the block and look hideous!
Can I trim these off after install they sure look unsightly? I am assuming after install that should be no problem. 
Trying to keep my 69 Z28 looking stock.

Thanks

Todd
Hi Todd,

RTV is required at gasket valley ends to seal these areas. When we design our gaskets we have to be sure they will work on every engine, but not every engine is exactly the same. Slight variations in castings and core shift are common on older engines, so we design our gaskets to accommodate these differences. You did the right thing by applying a small amount of RTV to those areas only.

The rivets in the gaskets are necessary to keep them together. and keep the layers aligned before installation. We cannot put them in an area that would be compressed as the rivets won’t compress. Once you have the head gaskets installed, you can cut off the rivets to keep the original look you are going for.

Sounds like you have a really cool project going, good luck!

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.