Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inland Jet Pipe Exhaust System
I have an aftermarket Inland Jet Pipe Exhaust system on a Kawasaki 1100 jet ski engine. This is a water-cooled pipe, which isn't made anymore so parts are not available. I need the gasket which connects the pipe to the exhaust manifold (circled in red in photo). I have managed to create a CAD model of the gasket and have access to both a water jet and laser cutter. I used a laser cutter to make the gasket out of your rubber-cellulose sheet Part No. 3075.

[Image: nn5cok.gif]

Below are the gaskets that I made from 3075:

[Image: 169hue1.jpg]

(the small hole is for cooling water)

Running the engine at low speed on the beach it seemed OK, but WOT in the water, it didn't last probably but several seconds. When I came in, the gasket had blown out. There were bits of soggy shredded gasket coming out the sides. Since this material is meant for water applications, could it be the heat or the pressure that is destroying it? What do you think? Do you have an appropriate material for this application?

Thank you,
Dave
Hi Dave,

Those gaskets look great!

Our rubber-cellulose gasket material is ideal for water pump, water outlet and thermostat gaskets. It is not designed to stand up to the temperatures seen in an exhaust system.

The good news is we have a material that should work well for you. Fel-Ramic is a water-resistant facing material that is mechanically clinched to both sides of a perforated steel core. This material is recommended for use exhaust manifold gasket & exhaust pipe flange gasket applications.

2499 is a 12" x 28" x 1/16" thick sheet that is fiber on both sides, and it should work well for this application.
Thanks for the reply; that sounds promising! So the 2499 is a sandwich of fiber|steel mesh|fiber? It's important for me to know the material, because our laser cutter is fairly low power; it won't cut metal. But we have a water jet cutter that will cut just about anything.

Also, you say "water resistant" -- but this is going to be in contact with water always, because it's a water-cooled exhaust; it's not just exhaust (that small hole is a for a water passage). I just want to be sure the 2499 is OK with that.

Some added info: I just got a response from the company who made this pipe from 1996 to 1998. They don't remember exactly but they think the gasket was made from (and I quote) "a material that was a combo of paper/wire."

Dave
(07-11-2017, 05:36 PM)Guest Wrote: Thanks for the reply; that sounds promising! So the 2499 is a sandwich of fiber|steel mesh|fiber? It's important for me to know the material, because our laser cutter is fairly low power; it won't cut metal. But we have a water jet cutter that will cut just about anything.

Also, you say "water resistant" -- but this is going to be in contact with water always, because it's a water-cooled exhaust; it's not just exhaust (that small hole is a for a water passage). I just want to be sure the 2499 is OK with that.

Some added info: I just got a response from the company who made this pipe from 1996 to 1998. They don't remember exactly but they think the gasket was made from (and I quote) "a material that was a combo of paper/wire."

Dave

Dave,

2499 material is a perforated steel core with a composite fiber material on both sides, so you will need to cut it with your water jet cutter. It is definitely the material you want to use based on what it sounds like the original gasket was made from.

The constant contact with water will be ok. Constant exposure could result in a shorter life than you'd see in an automotive exhaust system since they are only exposed to condensation, we can't really put a timeframe on it since there are so many factors, but it should hold up just fine.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.