Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head gaskets 540 bbc marine
Hi!

We have got problem with water leaking in to oil in our 540s. No water on any spark plug, no leaking oil cooler, no leaking intake or anything else. We have been preassure tested the engines, no leaks.

The leaking starts when we are out testing the boat over 2500 rpm. We can run for hours on 2000 rpm and we can also run for hours at the dock at any rpm.

It is only leaking when we load the engine over 2500 rpm. 

So, im starting to think that the head gaskets might leak. My question is: Are we using the right gaskets? Fel pro 17048

The 540s are mark IV and the heads are dart iron eagle 308. The engines are saltwater cooled. This problem started after rebuild of the engines so they havent run anything beside testing.

thanks, Marcus
Hi Marcus,

17048 is the correct gasket for a 540 MKIV block. According to Dart's website the Iron Eagle 308 heads are fine for use with a MKIV block whcih means the head gasket should be a fine match as well - it looks like they might recommend the 345 over the 308 for 540+ CID - check their tech sheet:
http://dartheads.com/dart-product/iron-e...308-345cc/

What torque specs are you using, and are you using bolts or studs?

It sounds like the heads may be lifting at the higher RPM and allowing coolant to leak internally. You can try a head re-torque to see if that helps. With the engines at room temp, drain any water/coolant from the engines. Starting at the 1st bolt in the torque sequence, loosen the bolt one turn and then torque it up to the torque spec. Repeat this for each bolt following the torque sequence.

If the problem returns, you could consider going to a MLS head gasket which will better seal the combustion chambers as the spring steel layers will better seal head lift conditions, but the sealing surfaces of the heads and blocks will need to be 60 Ra or smoother.
Thanks for the reply! Dart says we should use fel pro 1047. Whats the difference between 1047 and 17048? I can se on Summit that 17048 are for gen 5/6 and 1047 are for mark IV. But in your catalog i can read that 17048 are for all generations.
(07-11-2017, 08:26 AM)Guest Wrote: Thanks for the reply! Dart says we should use fel pro 1047. Whats the difference between 1047 and 17048? I can se on Summit that 17048 are for gen 5/6 and 1047 are for mark IV. But in your catalog i can read that 17048 are for all generations.

Marcus,

1047 and 17048 are one in the same - the part numbers differ for cataloging reasons. 1047 is an automotive performance gasket and is also suitable for use in marine engines, but all of our Marine Head Gaskets use a 5 digit part number starting with "17."

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.