Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proper installation of 1257 and 1448 intake and exhaust manifold gasket
I have a few questions I could use some help with for the installation of Fel Pro gaskets 1257 and 1448 on my Chevy 250 6 cylinder engine.

1. Can I use high copper temp spray or similar copper tube product to ensure proper seal with these gaskets?
2. There are no markings related to orientation of either gasket. Is there a front and back installation?
3. The "generalized" directions on 1448 suggest the use of fast drying adhesive to a affix exhaust gasket to cylinder head, attacking manifold temporarily and then removing for trimming. Is this the recommended step for my application and am I trimming excess on outer edges of gasket only or am I trimming on inner edge of ports as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob
Hi Rob,

1. The best way to ensure a proper seal is to install the gaskets clean and dry and allow the gaskets to do the sealing. We do not recommend the use of copper spray, RTV or sealers.

2. There is not a front or back side to these gaskets. If one side is smoother than the other, install the smoother side toward the exhaust manifold/header flange.

3. You can use a few dabs of high-tack adhesive to help hold the gaskets in place if necessary use only enough to hold the gaskets in place. Do the gaskets require trimming to match the ports on your application? If so, you can carefully trim inside the ports so they match up, but don't cut into the blue Printoseal sealing beads.
(06-13-2017, 02:52 PM)Support Wrote: Hi Rob,

1. The best way to ensure a proper seal is to install the gaskets clean and dry and allow the gaskets to do the sealing. We do not recommend the use of copper spray, RTV or sealers.

2. There is not a front or back side to these gaskets. If one side is smoother than the other, install the smoother side toward the exhaust manifold/header flange.

3. You can use a few dabs of high-tack adhesive to help hold the gaskets in place if necessary use only enough to hold the gaskets in place. Do the gaskets require trimming to match the ports on your application? If so, you can carefully trim inside the ports so they match up, but don't cut into the blue Printoseal sealing beads.

Thanks for the quick reply. For clarification, in question number 2 you said, "toward the exhaust manifold/header flange. Do you mean the shiny side of gasket toward the head?

Thanks again!
(06-14-2017, 03:25 AM)Guest Wrote: Thanks for the quick reply. For clarification, in question number 2 you said, "toward the exhaust manifold/header flange. Do you mean the shiny side of gasket toward the head?

Thanks again!

Rob,

The shiny/smooth side (if one side is more shiny or smoother than the other) of the gasket should go toward the flange of the manifold or header. This allows the flange to slide a bit more easily as is expands and contracts due to normal thermal cycling.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.