Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2001 Dodge Dakota Rear diff gasket 9.25
I ordered a Felpro RDS 55073 rear diff gasket, do I need to use a rtv sealant with it?
Hi,

RDS 55073, like almost all other Fel-Pro gaskets, is designed to be installed clean and dry without the use of RTV, other sealants, or adhesives applied to it or the sealing surfaces. Install this gasket clean and dry on clean and dry surfaces.

The only times RTV should be used is:

1 - There is a joint in the sealing surface from two components coming together (such as the front cover meeting the engine black above an oil pan gasket) and even then, RTV should only be applied in that area.

2 - The latest edition of the original repair manual calls for RTV in specific locations.

Some Fel-Pro gaskets are designed for applications originally sealed with RTV only, such as engine or transmission oil pans and differential or axle housing cover gaskets. In these cases, the gasket should be installed clean and dry with no RTV applied to it, and no RTV should be applied to the pan or cover. If there are joints in the sealing surface on the component being sealed (engine block, transmission, etc.) then RTV should be applied directly to those areas only. RTV will get on the gasket when it is installed which is ok, but no RTV should be applied to the gasket directly or between the gasket and the pan/cover.
Thank you for the detailed response. just wanted to clarify because I read on the Permatex site they had a sealant to  be used " As a gasket maker, it seeks and seals leak paths that cut gaskets cannot. It can also be used to seal cut gaskets. - See more at: https://www.permatex.com/products/gasket...snQ8J.dpuf ", Permatex gear oil RTV
(05-24-2017, 04:12 PM)Fullthrottle Wrote: Thank you for the detailed response. just wanted to clarify because I read on the Permatex site they had a sealant to  be used " As a gasket maker, it seeks and seals leak paths that cut gaskets cannot. It can also be used to seal cut gaskets. - See more at: https://www.permatex.com/products/gasket...snQ8J.dpuf ", Permatex gear oil RTV

Hi,

We are happy to clarify! As we mentioned, the only time RTV should be used is when the repair manual calls for it or on joints in sealing surfaces.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.