Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
perma dry plus Valve cover gasket
while i'm not a big fan of tearing it apart again, i would if it would finally stop leaking. However the included grommets are not in the best of shape (one was torn when i last took it apart). while its not leaking from the one that is torn, i don't believe that tearing it apart again without new ones would be in the best interest
(05-31-2017, 10:09 PM)Guest Wrote: while i'm not a big fan of tearing it apart again, i would if it would finally stop leaking. However the included grommets are not in the best of shape (one was torn when i last took it apart). while its not leaking from the one that is torn, i don't believe that tearing it apart again without new ones would be in the best interest

Unfortunately it won’t stop leaking on its own, so it will have to come apart again if you want to fix the leak.

The biggest problem is the bolts are very far apart to place loading the valve cover gasket. The other issue is it is a sheet metal cover that is prone to bending during both removal and installation/torquing.

First make sure all the RTV is removed from the valve cover & the cylinder head. Both sealing surfaces need to be clean & dry. Find the flattest work surface you can and place the cover on that surface like it would be on the car. Look carefully at the cover for high/low areas. Try to get the cover flange as straight as possible to get even loading on the gasket. Please make sure you use the correct load washers for the type of cover you have.

The grommets act as a secondary seal at the bolt holes. The valve cover gasket should prevent oil from getting to the bolts but it all depends on the cover’s condition. The grommet is there to prevent any oil getting past the gasket from getting onto the cover.

Lastly, take a good look at the gasket itself to make sure it hasn't been damaged from being removed and installed a few times. We generally recommend replacing gaskets any time they are removed, but you may be able to get away with it in this particular case.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)