Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intake gaskets - sealant or not?
(07-12-2017, 01:34 PM)Support Wrote:
(07-12-2017, 03:15 AM)Herb Wrote: Hi, I will be using Fel-pro intake gasket #1204 on a 76 Chevy with Edelbrock intake #2101. I'm trying to confirm if I need to use any sealant or not; I spoke to Edelbrock and they suggested using Permatex High Tach gasket sealant on both sides of the gasket. Also, they suggested no using the China Wall gaskets at all; They suggest using Permatex Ultra Black sealant instead. Can you all provide and guidance on this? Thanks.

Hi Herb,

We do not recommend the use of sealant or adhesive on the intake (also called side rail) gaskets at all. Our recommendation is to install the 2101 gaskets clean and dry on clean and dry surfaces.

RTV should be used at the 4 corners where the intake end seals (China wall gaskets) meet the intake gaskets. You can also do as Edelbrock suggested and use RTV only as the intake end seal. This helps account for variations in the angle of the intake-to-head sealing surfaces as a result of decking the block or milling the heads. Use enough to properly seal the entire area between the intake side rail gaskets but not so much that a bunch will squeeze out when you install the intake.

Thanks.

Are you all of the opinion that using sealant or adhesive along the side rail gaskets affects the integrity of the gaskets?
(07-13-2017, 03:08 PM)Guest Wrote: Thanks.

Are you all of the opinion that using sealant or adhesive along the side rail gaskets affects the integrity of the gaskets?

Hi Herb,

The 1204 gaskets (along with most other Fel-Pro gaskets) are designed to be installed without the use of adhesives or sealants.

They are pre-coated, and other coatings or sealants can adversely react with the pre-applied coating.
Thanks.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.