Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ES 72856
Why are two bolts on this set shorter than the originals from the 283 engine?

Which spots on the cylinder head do these correspond to?

Thanks,
Eric 
Hi Eric,

Thanks for your post!

There are 3 size bolts used on SB Chevy's. All the very short bolts go along the bottom outer row of head bolt holes. All the long bolts go in the bolt holes between the rocker arm studs. The two medium size bolts go on the ends of the cylinder head by the oil drain back holes. The bolts come with pre-applied sealer on them so no need to apply more.

We hope this helps, thanks for choosing Fel-Pro!
Are the es 72856 torque to yield bolts, and if they are, what are the instructions using a torque to angle indicator, and if don't have a torque angle indicator, what is the install procedure to make sure the correct torque is applied

thanks
Hi Phil, thanks for your post!

The ES 72856 bolts are not T-T-Y bolts. They get torqued up in 3 steps folowng the proper torque sequence; 25, then 45 and finally 65 ft. lbs.

We hope this helps!
(04-03-2015, 02:03 AM)Support Wrote: Hi Phil, thanks for your post!

The ES 72856 bolts are not T-T-Y bolts. They get torqued up in 3 steps folowng the proper torque sequence; 25, then 45 and finally 65 ft. lbs.

We hope this helps!

Hi, i have a 97' suburban L31 vortec v8 that takes the same ES 72856 bolts, and they are installed as follows. 1st step all bolts 22, 2nd step long bolts 75 degrees, 3rd step medium bolts 65 degrees, 4th step short bolts 55 degrees. this is from federal moguls torque specs sheet for my vehicle. many people have been shearing these bolts off in between 45 and 60 ft. lbs. i would love some help on what to do?????
(12-18-2015, 03:29 AM)william kaufman Wrote: Hi, i have a 97' suburban L31 vortec v8 that takes the same ES 72856 bolts, and they are installed as follows. 1st step all bolts 22, 2nd step long bolts 75 degrees, 3rd step medium bolts 65 degrees, 4th step short bolts 55 degrees. this is from federal moguls torque specs sheet for my vehicle. many people have been shearing these bolts off in between 45 and 60 ft. lbs. i would love some help on what to do?????

Hi William,

We'd be happy to exchange the bolts for you if you have any concerns about them. Send us an email to Support@Felpro-Only.com with your address and reference this thread.

We hope to hear back from you soon!
I have a 57 bel air, 283 4.6 with the power pack 539 heads on it. Your two medium length bolts with kit #ES72856 are two short to work on the End holes just below the oil return galleys. I had to dig four old bolts out of the trash to get this engine running. You might want to verify and remedy this issue. The packaging claims its the correct part. It is not. Thanks...
(04-03-2017, 06:52 PM)Guest Wrote: I have a 57 bel air, 283 4.6 with the power pack 539 heads on it. Your two medium length bolts with kit #ES72856 are two short to work on the End holes just below the oil return galleys. I had to dig four old bolts out of the trash to get this engine running. You might want to verify and remedy this issue. The packaging claims its the correct part. It is not. Thanks...

Hi,

Since you have already together it’s too late to ask for measurements or pictures, unless you took some while assembling? Can you measure the bolts that were too short? We’d like to make sure the wrong bolts were not put into these ES sets. Any chance you might have the boxes the bolts came in? If so, there is a date code on the box that would also help us. It is a 6 digit code that is printed on the label.

Is it possible that the Power Pack heads have a longer bolt boss than other SBC heads? This is a popular set, fitting all SBC’s going back to 1957 and we haven't heard of this before, but we definitely want to figure out why you ran into this issue.

We hope to hear back from you soon!
I am currently having same issue, bolts are not long enough to catch threads
(02-25-2018, 03:01 AM)Guest Wrote: I am currently having same issue, bolts are not long enough to catch threads

Hi,

What is the part number of the bolt set you're using, and what is the year, make, model and engine size of the application you're working on?

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.