Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
incorrect partial exhaust manifold gasket install
FEL-PRO,

Good morning.  What do you suggest for the following exhaust manifold gasket install mistake?  My vehicle: 1984 Dodge Ram W150 with a 318.  FEL-PRO part MS90460.  I started to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets yesterday before the base shop closed and I cannot get back to finish it until Wednesday.  I disassembled both sides and cleaned the engine block smooth and clean with a whizwheel.  I cleaned the exhaust manifolds similarly but did have limited pitting but otherwise clean and smooth.  The pitting I would say was minimal but present and I don't know how much is too much.  I started reassembling and got the right side / passenger side back together.  I used the appropriate FEL-PRO gasket, BUT I followed a shade tree mechanic's advice and coated both sides with high temp exhaust manifold orange RTV.  As if that wasn't bad enough, I installed the shinny metallic side toward the cylinder head.  Again both sides have the RVT.  My plan was to do the same on Wednesday when I can get back to the auto hobby shop and complete the job.  But this morning I found your website and this forum.  Do I disassemble the right side and purchase a new set of gaskets and clean both surfaces again and install shinny side out and use no RTV?  Or 2) install the left side incorrectly just as I did the right side just because? or 3) install the left side per FEL-PRO instructions (shinny side out to a clean and dry surface) and see which if either side fails first?  The truck is an occasional use truck, maybe 2,500 miles a year.  Prior to the repair the left side gasket was blown.

Also, there are two small EGR tube gaskets, fiber on each side, included in this kit.  On the right side I already installed this with RTV on both sides.   And on the left side I have installed the gasket to the tube head with RTV.

Also, on this vehicle on the right side there is a flange gasket at the heat riser below the exhaust manifold and meeting to the exhaust Y pipe.  I could not find a FEL-PRO gasket so I got a similar one from AUTOZONE and I had to snip the bolt hole areas to make it fit.  This too was installed, RTV to each side.  In this case the gasket was metal on both sides.  The surfaces were clean and dry and both sides showed some pitting.
Thanks
Mike
Hi Mike,

At the very least, install the other gasket clean and dry with the shiny side facing the exhaust manifold. We recommend replacing the gasket that was covered with RTV and cleaning the surfaces again, however, most of the RTV will burn up with use so it's not the end of the world. Exhaust manifold gaskets won't split or extrude due to RTV like molded rubber or composite gaskets. Our concern is with how the RTV/flipped gasket combo will handle the expansion and contraction of the exhaust manifold. You may see premature failure on that side since the manifold will "scrub" away at the RTV and gasket as it expands and contracts.
FEL-PRO Support Team,
Thank you for your fast response. A couple follow up questions and new questions. First, I guess I have decision to make. One factor will be if I can find another MS 90460 in the Northern Virginia area as the last one was tough to find. It might be easiest to go ahead and do it right while I have it up on a lift. At the least I will install the left side per FEL-PRO advice.

- Also, there are two small EGR tube gaskets, fiber on each side, included in this kit. On the right side I already installed this with RTV on both sides. And on the left side I have installed the gasket to the tube head with RTV. What do you suggest? As it is fiber on both sides, is the high temp RTV acceptable? (no/low risk)

- Can you tell me who in the Northern Virginia area has MS 90460? Or do you sell direct and overnight ship?

- On this vehicle on the right side there is a flange gasket at the heat riser below the exhaust manifold and meeting to the exhaust Y pipe. I could not find a FEL-PRO gasket so I got a similar one from AUTOZONE and I had to snip the bolt hole areas to make it fit and the diameter of the opening is slightly larger than the exhaust port. In the burnt remains of the existing gasket I could tell the gasket actually lipped into the lower exhaust pipe. As of now this too was installed, RTV to each side. If I a, to replace the right side exhaust manifold gasket correctly, this too would have to be replaced. The surfaces are cleanable on both sides and showed some pitting. Is there a FEL-PRO gasket for this application? If not do you have a suggestion?

Thank you.
Respectfully,
Mike M.
Thank you for your quick reply.

- To follow up, there are two small EGR tube gaskets, fiber on each side, that were included in this kit. On the right side I already installed this with RTV on both sides. And on the left side I have installed the gasket to the tube head with RTV as it awaits the rest of my left side install. For these fiber gaskets what do you suggest? RTV or no RTV and/or does it matter?

- Also, on this vehicle on the right side there is a flange gasket at the heat riser below the exhaust manifold and meeting to the exhaust Y pipe. I could not find a FEL-PRO gasket so I got a similar one from AUTOZONE and I had to snip the bolt hole areas to make it fit. However the port hole was slightly larger in the gasket then on the truck. This too was installed, RTV to each side. In this case the gasket was metal on both sides. The surfaces were clean and dry and both sides showed some pitting. What do you suggest? Does FEL-PRO make such a gasket? The gasket I removed from that area actually had a lip that extended into the exhaust pipe from the flange. Seemed it would be useful in holding it in place during install. If FEL-PRO doesn't have a gasket do you have an opinion on what should be done at this joint?

If you have the ability to receive or post pictures I can send you a couple that would fully explain my posting.

Thanks,
Mike
Thanks
Mike,

We don't sell direct and unfortunately can't tell which of our distributors have product in stock, as they manage their own inventory. Check with your local auto parts stores or online, you should be able to track a set down.

All the exhaust gaskets should be installed clean & dry, fiber or otherwise. One of the issues RTV (among many others) is that our gaskets are designed to seal and apply a certain amount of sealing stress to each joint. RTV "takes up space" and throws off the amount of space the gaskets are made to seal. Again on these exhaust applications, we'd expect most of it to burn up over time, which may open leak paths, especially since the gaskets won't be evenly compressed due to the inevitable variations in the thickness of the RTV. If you are able to track down a new gasket set, we recommend replacing these gaskets as well.

It doesn't look like we have a gasket cataloged for the heat riser, the one you mentioned sounds fine. It’s okay that the gasket opening is a little too big, as long as it seals.
Fel-Pro,
For what it is worth, thanks. It is comfortable reading and accepting information and advice from your proven company. When I complete this job tomorrow I will apply your advice. And after fining this site and reading many threads of inquiry, it might be helpful to novice mechanics and seasoned professionals to permit upload of some limited number of pictures or other attachments like diagrams. Has Fel-Pro considered this option? I also think this forum and your site generally bodes product confidence and assurance for the consumer so thank you again for providing this venue. Thanks. Mike M.
(12-20-2016, 04:46 PM)Guest Wrote: Fel-Pro,
For what it is worth, thanks. It is comfortable reading and accepting information and advice from your proven company. When I complete this job tomorrow I will apply your advice. And after fining this site and reading many threads of inquiry, it might be helpful to novice mechanics and seasoned professionals to permit upload of some limited number of pictures or other attachments like diagrams. Has Fel-Pro considered this option? I also think this forum and your site generally bodes product confidence and assurance for the consumer so thank you again for providing this venue. Thanks. Mike M.

Mike,

Glad we could help, and thanks for the kind words! We answer every question and try to help to the best of our abilities.

We do have a few means of uploading pictures to this forum or sending pictures otherwise. The Rules/FAQ found at the top of each subforum (under the Forum Announcements header) has information on how to upload photos to the forum, but we'll copy it over here too in case this is easier to find.

3. Pictures are always welcome – and helpful. You can share pictures with us by uploading them to an image-hosting website (such as imgur or photobucket) and copying the “[img] [/img]” tagged code into the body of your post, or by emailing them to us at support@Felpro-Only.com and mentioning your post on the forum in the message. Please do not send pictures by email without first contacting us on the forum, as this will help us keep everything in order and ensure every question gets answered.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)