Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
45993 Multiple O-rings No Instruction
I have multiple pick-up tube o-rings in the TCS 45993 kit. I have one red, one green, and one black. They all differ in size slightly. There is no listing for application. There are numbers (91275, 92201, 96695) but I could not find these on a part search.

I am using this on a 2005 6.0L LQ4 (VIN U). I suspect the red one is correct. Only because the original one is orange-red in color.

I feel this is very important as pick-up tube o-ring problems are quite prevalent on the vortec motors. Please indicate the correct o-ring.
Hi Matt,

There should only be two O-rings - we are not sure why there's a third, and it's even stranger that it's listed on the package label. What is the date code on the packaging? It's a six-digit code on the end of the box.

We package 2 different O-rings depending on the application as this TCS set fits many different engine sizes over a range of years. You will need to match up the size & color closest to what you have removed and ensure proper fitment, as different engines in the same year could possibly have different O-rings.
On the end of the box I have 303277, which doesn't directly appear to correspond to a date. On the back lower right of the part no. listing is 14 05 27. I will just use the o-ring that fits the best. Thank you.
(12-08-2016, 03:07 AM)Matt Wrote: On the end of the box I have 303277, which doesn't directly appear to correspond to a date. On the back lower right of the part no. listing is 14 05 27. I will just use the o-ring that fits the best. Thank you.

Matt,

Thanks for getting back to us with the date code. We'll look into why there were 3 O-rings in the set. Let us know if you have any other questions!
I have the same issue I just purchased the 45993 kit from Amazon. The OE O-ring on my 2007 Escalade with the 6.2L was red but the pipe neck was straight or very slightly tapered and not recessed. Melling also included only two O-rings a green and a black and there were instructions inside saying if tube is recessed use green but if straight use black, but then if you watch their official YouTube video they also say if your OE ring was red, then use their green. At this moment I could not be more confused.
(05-31-2017, 03:44 AM)Guest Wrote: I have the same issue I just purchased the 45993 kit from Amazon. The OE O-ring on my 2007 Escalade with the 6.2L was red but the pipe neck was straight or very slightly tapered and not recessed. Melling also included only two O-rings a green and a black and there were instructions inside saying if tube is recessed use green but if straight use black, but then if you watch their official YouTube video they also say if your OE ring was red, then use their green. At this moment I could not be more confused.

Hi,

We went to Melling's website & watched their video, but didn’t hear any mention about recessed tubes, only straight or tapered. We also see that there is a thickness difference between the 2 O-rings. While we can’t quite make out the numbers on the Melling's instruction sheet, it looks like there is only a few thousands taper on the tapered pickup tube. It looks like the taper goes from 0.870” to 0.830” but the numbers are pretty fuzzy on our screen so we can’t be sure.

Since you originally had a red O-ring, the green O-ring from Melling would be correct. If you use our O-ring, compare what you removed and go with the O-ring that is the closest to that. It is pretty confusing trying to judge by color because aftermarket O-rings are not necessarily going to match the color of the originals.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.