Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valve seals for 72 Ford 302
I have a 77 Ford F100 with a 72 302 in it and it smokes at start up. I purchased part numbers SS72562 and SS13364-1 for the seals. First these are "plug-n-play" correct? Second, the exhaust seals box has a note about using the installation seal guide, but it did not come with one. Is that a generic note and I actually don't need that tool, or should it have come with it? Do I need to purchase it separately? 
Thanks in advance!
Hi Tim,

If by plug-n-play you mean a direct fit for you application, then yes, the SS 72562 set is a direct replacement for the exhaust valve stem seals and SS 13364-1 are a direct replacement for the intake valve stem seals. The note is a generic note, if you ever come across tiny, plastic "straws" with Fel-Pro valve stem seals, these are the installation guides/aids. They prevent damage to tight-tolerance positive-type seals when sliding them over the valve stems.
(08-15-2016, 02:18 PM)Support Wrote: Hi Tim,

If by plug-n-play you mean a direct fit for you application, then yes, the SS 72562 set is a direct replacement for the exhaust valve stem seals and SS 13364-1 are a direct replacement for the intake valve stem seals. The note is a generic note, if you ever come across tiny, plastic "straws" with Fel-Pro valve stem seals, these are the installation guides/aids. They prevent damage to tight-tolerance positive-type seals when sliding them over the valve stems.

Great! Thanks for the fast response. So I do not need the straw for these seals?
(08-15-2016, 02:44 PM)Guest Wrote: Great! Thanks for the fast response. So I do not need the straw for these seals?

Tim,

That's correct, the instruction about the installation aid is generic for all our valve stem seals. The installation tools that look like pieces of a soda straw fit over the end of the valve stem and allows the valve stem seal to be slid past the valve keeper area which may have a sharp edge that could cut a valve stem seal. Umbrella seals, like the ones you have, are a little more flexible and don’t require the installation tool. Just gently slide the seals past the keeper area & you’ll be good to go. Sorry for the confusion!
should he be concerned that the new exhaust seal is much smaller (shorter) than the oem seal and doesn't completely cover the casting like the intake seals?
(06-13-2017, 01:57 AM)Guest Wrote: should he be concerned that the new exhaust seal is much smaller (shorter) than the oem seal and doesn't completely cover the casting like the intake seals?

Hi,

What engine application are you working on and what is the part number of the valve stem seal set you're using?

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)