Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reuse ES 72186 Head Bolts and?
Are the ES72186 head bolts TTY? I have heard yes and no. I replaced a head gasket (left first) on a 1999 Deville with 4.6 Northstar and pulled three head bolt threads in the process. I removed the head, installed time serts and want to know if acceptable to reuse the the new (toqued once) head bolts. Also, assuming that the blue sealant on the threads and the red stuff under the bolt heads is in lieu of having to use oil. Wish there were some instructions/literature included with this product. Thanks.
Hi Daniel,

GM does not state that the bolts are TTY or TTA (torque-to-angle), however they are TTA (as are the bolts in set # ES 72186). This means they do not permanently stretch when torqued to the specified angle.

With the said, the repair manual does state that the bolts should be discarded because the thread locking compound and sealant used on the bolts are single-use only. Engine oil & other sealants should not be substituted. GM does not offer any info as to what thread locking compounds or sealers should be applied to the head bolts if removed. In order to do this job correctly, we would suggest new bolts.

The coating from the previously installed bolts remains in the block threads so they should be cleaned to ensure the proper loading is achieved. Did you use Time-Serts on all the bolt holes or just the 3 that stripped? We recommend considering installing them on all the block threads if you have not done so already.
Thanks for the response. To clarify, I am not wanting to reuse the factory head bolts. I bought the ES72186 bolts and torqued one head and then removed the bolts and head. I hate to purchase new bolts if not needed. Can you tell me what Fel-Pro uses on the threads? Not all of the blue sealant is removed from the threads and I was thinking that maybe I can just add to it, like the Permatex 8062 that you recommended in another post. Is the blue stuff a sealant or a locker or both?

I installed Time-Serts in all of the holes, not just the ones that failed.

What is the red stuff under the head of the bolts? Dry lubricant?
(08-02-2016, 12:42 AM)Daniel Wrote: Thanks for the response. To clarify, I am not wanting to reuse the factory head bolts. I bought the ES72186 bolts and torqued one head and then removed the bolts and head. I hate to purchase new bolts if not needed. Can you tell me what Fel-Pro uses on the threads? Not all of the blue sealant is removed from the threads and I was thinking that maybe I can just add to it, like the Permatex 8062 that you recommended in another post. Is the blue stuff a sealant or a locker or both?

I installed Time-Serts in all of the holes, not just the ones that failed.

What is the red stuff under the head of the bolts? Dry lubricant?

Hi Daniel,

Excellent call on using Time-Serts in all of the bolt holes.

We apologize for the confusion. These bolts are a different than others with what is used on the threads - we'd rather see new bolts used. Send us an email to Support@Felpro-Only.com and mention this thread, we may be able to better assist you.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.