Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermostat Seal on Ford 289
Hi.

I have purchased gasket 35067 for my 67 Cougar 289.  The intake is the original cast iron manifold and the housing is an original tooling cast aluminum water neck from a well-known Mustang and Ford OEM re-manufacturer.  Do I need to (or should I) use any RTV with this gasket, or should the gasket be applied clean and dry?  Since this is pretty much a basic gasket and doesn't appear to have any beads engineered in, I haven't been able to tell from other posts in the forum.

Thanks.
Hi Kenny,

No sealer, RTV or adhesives should be used on the 35067 gasket. Install it clean and dry, follow the torque specs and you'll be in good shape.
I am changing my thermostat on my 2001 Dodge Ram with a 5.9 (360 cu in ), I purchased a Stant superstat thermostat and they gave me a Fel-Pro paper gasket, it's been a lot of years since I've changed one and gasket material has changed, with the Fel-Pro paper gasket will I need any Permatex? And if i do need it, one side or both, old school we used to do both sides, intake is i believe aluminum and the outlet tube is steel.
(12-29-2016, 06:19 PM)Guest Wrote:  I am changing my thermostat on my 2001 Dodge Ram with a 5.9 (360 cu in ), I purchased a Stant superstat thermostat and they gave me a Fel-Pro paper gasket, it's been a lot of years since I've changed one and gasket material has changed, with the Fel-Pro paper gasket will I need any Permatex? And if i do need it, one side or both, old school we used to do both sides, intake is i believe aluminum and the outlet tube is steel.

Hi,

No sealer should be used, let the gasket do the sealing and you should be in good shape. Make sure both sealing surfaces are clean, dry, and in good shape. Any pitting, gouges, or other damage can result in leaks.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text within the image on the left in to the text box below. This process is used to prevent automated posts.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)